Our main activity consists of providing language learning opportunities to both children and adults in Târgu Mureș. We have done so since 1990. All our courses are offered in a modular system at levels described in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and organized in group or one-on-one, regular or tailored. We continuously design and offer courses to meet special requests and needs of individul students or corporate clients as well. Besides our regular courses we offer exam training preparing students for international certificates through our partner institutions. Venues: class rooms at Bolyai Farkas High School, our offices and library or in-company at the request of corporate clients.
Currently more than 150 students attend our English or German language courses and exam trainings. Teaching staff consists of 12 professionals 9 of whom are also examiners with our partners, such as the Goethe-Institut Bukarest or British Council.
Our library open to the public since 1993 offers more then 8300 items exclusively of foreign language content: books, course books, text books, dictionaries audio and video materials, digital tools in English, German, French, Dutch, etc.
For details on available courses now please click below:
English language courses:
German language courses:
International language exams
Belkovits Éva, Director of Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org
Szakács Enikő, Secretary, email@example.com
Piroska Enikő Emilia, Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org
Belényesi Ákos, Accountant, email@example.com
Teachers & examiners:
Duncan W. McAlister
Takács Tünde E.
Calepinus Dictionary and the Inspiration for the Name
The idea of establishing the Calepinus Foundation arose from the sudden and growing interest in the learning of foreign languages following the political changes in 1989. At the beginning in 1990 the Foundation provided language learning opportunities in a college system to adults for personal and professional purposes. The organization of the teaching program within the Hungarian Citadel Reformed Church was initiated by Rev. Dénes Fülöp G., who also had the inspiration for the name. A dictionary. The great work, the Latin dictionary based on modern principles (Dictionarium Linguae Latinae. Reggio, 1502) edited by Ambrosio Calepino, in Latin Calepinus (1450-1510), a monk of the Augustan order, can be found in the Teleki Library in Marosvásárhely/Tîrgu Mureș. At the beginning of the 16th century the European world of science felt the need to add two, three, five, seven or even eleven languages to the Latin dictionary. This is how the polyglot dictionary of the Renaissance came into being. The Lyon version of ten languages dating from 1585 already included Hungarian and Polish out of the Eastern-European line. The authors of the Hungarian section were Laskói Csókás Péter, a teacher at the Calvinist College in Marosvásárhely/Tîrgu Mureș and two students studying in Wittenberg.
History goes back to 1990 when Ian Goodrick, a doctor from England assisted in the launching of the very first English courses. Two years later French was introduced in partnership with Alliance et Partage Association and then German in 1993. Dutch and Hungarian were to complete the variety of languages a bit later. At the beginning the curriculum was planned based on the same principle: at the end of the three-year period the students were given a certificate. Courses were held at the Bolyai Farkas High School, the former Calvinist College. Besides the local qualified and well-trained community-minded teachers the school also benefited from the presence of visiting volunteers coming from partner institutions: Scottish Churches World Exchange – United Kingdom, Christian Reformed World Mission – Michigan, United States of America, Alliance et Partage – France.
Apart from the general language courses starting from 1994 special courses are launched preparing students for internationally recognized examinations, such as: TOEFL, Cambridge ESOL Exams in association with British Council, German ZD and ZMP at the Goethe-Institut Bukarest, and last but not least the French DALF at the French Cultural Centre in Cluj. We remain up to the present registered partners of The British Council and Goethe-Institut Bukarest.
The Citadel Church grants independent legal status to the foundation in 1995, and shortly after it is accredited by the state as an educational institution.
The library opens to the public in 1993, books coming from generous donations, mostly from Alliance et Partage in the beginning. It is set up in the Balassi Room of the Citadel Church. The collection consisting exclusively of foreign language material seems to supply a great need, it is regularly used by a wide range of readers, not only by language course students but also by students from different schools and universities in town. The library is of encyclopedic character. It is worth mentioning the vast amount of teaching aids: dictionaries, textbooks, audio and visual tools in English, French, German, Dutch and other languages. However, a big variety of specialized books and magazines concerning religion, science, history and geography is also available. The most visited section by all age groups is fiction. Unique in the county with more than 6800 items, the open access library is continuously growing even at present. The registered number of readers is 1483.
With the appearance of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages in 2000 language teaching underwent considerable changes. Interactive and innovative methods are more and more emphasized all over Europe. Considering the new directions, in 2005 the three-year curriculum was replaced by a modular system. Courses became shorter and the new textbooks included an interactive CD-ROM supporting self-study. The advantages of the modular system is indisputable: it allows of more accurate placement testing and assessment, a more efficient teaching in homogeneous groups, opportunity to improve tandem-teaching and to introduce intensive courses alongside the traditional ones.
In autumn 2005 the foundation is registered as official examination centre of the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry in town. This means that besides the general English exams candidates were offered new exams in English for tourism and business.
In 2007 courses preparing students for the new GZ-B2 exam at Goethe-Institut Bukarest were introduced. Starting from 2008 the SD1 and SD2 exams for beginners (A1, A2) have also become more and more popular.
In 2006 courses for children (primary and lower secondary) are provided for the first time.
The introduction of in company courses can be considered a real novelty and marks a turning point regarding both institutional and educational development. In 2007 director Géza Fülöp, who had been in charge for 17 years, was elected president by the board of trustees, being succeeded by Fülöp G. Miklós. This marks a new beginning, the graphic image of the school is created, the website project started in 2006 is completed. Courses gain a lot more publicity in the local media.
In autumn 2008 the offices needed to be moved out of the dilapidated Teleki House to 8 Bolyai Str., where in January 2009 the library was moved too. Here the first modern fully-equipped classroom is set-up.
Priority remains providing quality language learning opportunities for those with low income. Every year more than 40 grants are offered to students coming from large families, commuters from remote villages and unemployed. Students attending the local Bolyai High School and the Calvinist College benefit from our program as well.
Another important tradition at the Foundation since the beginnings has been the ministry of the English Worship Service. Volunteer native-speaker colleagues have organized it on Sunday afternoons providing an opportunity for fellowship both to volunteers from abroad living in town and those interested.